The Budget for 2017/18 was presented to the National Assembly by the cabinet secretary for the National Treasury on 30 March 2017. Some of the proposed measures on direct taxation are summarized below.
- The fishing sector will be granted a 150% deduction incentive
- Corporate tax for new motor vehicle assemblers will be reduced from 30% to 15% for the first five years of operation
- Special economic zone enterprises will be granted a 100% investment deduction for buildings and machinery
- Donations for alleviation of distress during national disasters will be deductible
- Incentives for development of low-cost housing will be introduced
- The tax bands for personal income tax bands will be expanded by 10%
- Personal relief will be increased by 10%
- Dividends paid by special economic zone enterprises to nonresidents will be exempt from withholding tax
- Withholding tax on interest payable by special economic zone enterprises to nonresidents will be reduced to 5%
© copyright IBFD. This article is part of a selection of daily news from the IBFD Tax News Service (TNS) chosen by EY professionals. All rights to the content reside with IBFD. Any use requires IBFD’s prior permission in writing. IBFD´s disclaimer applies to any and all of IBFD’s articles and publications.